Agenda and minutes

Kirklees District Consultation Sub-Committee
Wednesday, 10th January, 2018 5.00 pm

Venue: Old Court Room, Town Hall, Huddersfield

Contact: Andrew Atack 

Items
No. Item

6.

Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Pete Myers.

 

Matters Arising

 

Resolved: That John Appleyard be confirmed as deputy chair.

7.

Encouraging Young People To Use Buses

This will be a presentation provided by a representative from the West Yorkshire Combined Authority.

Minutes:

The subcommittee was shown a presentation outlining the findings from a consultation conducted to encourage more young people to use buses.

 

The following were identified by the subcommittee as particular concerns reducing bus use amongst young people:

 

·         Studies have suggested a link between culture/social class and uptake in public transport as a primary factor

 

·         Children’s views on public transport are shaped by their parents views and habits

 

The following were suggested by the subcommittee to encourage more young people to use buses:

 

·         Greater adoption of Wi-Fi on buses and bus stations

 

·         Drivers should allow young people in school uniforms or with photo IDs to benefit from discounted fares if they have forgotten their young persons card 

 

·         A pilot scheme for free journey vouchers for young people to try out public transport at no cost

 

·         Better educate young people about ticket choices and routes

 

·         Train drivers to better interact with young people and trust them instead of treating them with suspicion

 

·         Appoint public transport ambassadors from the Youth Parliament and give them free travel with the responsibility to help other young people navigate public transport

 

·         Schools should nominate older kids to help the younger kids on their first days taking the bus to school

 

·         Operators engage with schools and teach ‘courses’ in how to order and pay for their needed journey and ticket

 

Resolved: That the presentation and the subcommittee’s feedback be noted.

8.

Operator Updates

This will be presented by representatives from the bus and rail operators.

Minutes:

Operators reported no major changes to services and updated the subcommittee on a number of initiatives and developments, including:

 

·         The implementation of contactless card technology on First buses

 

·         Bus drivers undergoing training to increase awareness of cyclists

 

·         Works by Highways England and Northern Gas in the area are due to end soon, alleviating many traffic issues affecting services

 

·         Greater effort is being undertaken to inform the public of works and events which may affect services and traffic

 

·         There has been an increase in passenger numbers in the North, particularly rail as a preferred means of travel

 

·         Updated rail timetables are currently being assessed by Network Rail

 

·         TransPennine intends to provide additional capacity by Autumn 2018 and new, upgraded 6 carriage trains are expected to be operational by 2019. Increased revenue from the new, bigger trains will be reinvested into improving the TransPennine Leeds-Manchester route as a priority. 

 

The subcommittee also discussed the wider issue of decreasing provision of bus services to isolated, vulnerable communities and urged the Transport Committee to find a way to solve the issue and help fill the gap in bus services with Combined Authority resources. It was clarified to the subcommittee that the Combined Authority can only act within the powers it currently has, notwithstanding further devolution or major legislative changes to bus regulation and competition.

 

Resolved: That operator updates be noted.

9.

Minutes From The Meeting Held On 29 November 2017 pdf icon PDF 261 KB

Copy attached.

Minutes:

Resolved: That the minutes of the last meeting be approved.

10.

Information Report pdf icon PDF 275 KB

This will provide the opportunity for questions to be raised from the floor with a focus on matters of wider interest.

Minutes:

An information report was presented updating the sub-committee on matters relating to the Kirklees district. It was followed by questions and a discussion covering the following:

 

·         Temporary minor works improving the car park at Mirfield Station are currently in progress.

 

·         The Combined Authority has made enquiries into the lack of information provided about replacement bus services during the Northern strikes.

 

·         The Kirklees Council cabinet has discussed parts of the Local Plan relating to alleviating congestion at Longroyd Bridge and a decision is due later this year.

 

It was also suggested that Network Rail be invited to future meetings to provide updates and answer questions as many issues raised by the information report concern them.

 

Resolved: That the information report be noted.

11.

Open Forum

This will provide the opportunity for questions to be raised from the floor with a focus on matters of wider interest.

Minutes:

Question: Bus driver station breaks and passenger safety

 

It was clarified that West Yorkshire Combined Authority policy is that, when a bus driver needs to take a break at the station, a staff member from the station must wait with passengers until the driver returns. However, if no station staff are available, the driver will not be penalised as long as doors are locked. Under no circumstances should passengers, especially children, be removed from the bus. This policy was adopted following the coroner’s recommendation after a fatality occurred at a station.